Nomination & Election of Board of Education Members
1000 - Bylaws
1210 BOARD OF EDUCATION MEMBERS: NOMINATION AND ELECTION
- Candidates for the office of member of the Board of Education shall be nominated by a petition directed to the Clerk of the School District which is signed by at least twenty-five (25) qualified voters of the District, or by two percent (2%) of the number of voters who voted in the previous annual election, whichever is greater. Petitions must state the residence of each signer, the name and residence of each candidate.
- The notice of the Annual District Meeting must state that petitions nominating candidates for the Board of Education must be filed with the Clerk of the District no later than thirty (30) days before the Annual or Special District Meeting at which the school board election will occur, between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.
- Voting will be by machine, and provision shall be made for the election by "write-in-vote" of any candidate not previously nominated. The position of candidates on ballots shall be determined by lot at a drawing conducted by the District Clerk on the day after the last filing. Candidates or their proxies may be present for the drawing.
- The hours of voting shall be as indicated by Board resolution.
- The candidates receiving the largest number of votes shall be declared elected in accordance with Education Law.
- At least ten (10) days prior to the election, the Board shall appoint at least two (2) inspectors of election for each voting machine, and set their salary.
- The District Clerk shall oversee the election. The Clerk shall give notice immediately to each person declared elected to the Board, informing him/her of the election and his/her term of office.
- Only qualified voters as determined by Education Law Section 2012 may vote at any District meeting or election.
- No electioneering will be allowed within one hundred (100) feet of the polling place.
- When a term of office expires at the end of a school year and the office has become vacant at the time of election, the person elected to fill the new full term vacancy also fills the remaining days of the previous term, beginning his/her term of office immediately upon election and the taking and filing of the oath of office.
« BACK | BACK TO POLICY SERIES