5000 - Non-Instructional/Business Operations
5640 SMOKING/TOBACCO USE
Tobacco use shall not be permitted and no person shall use tobacco on school grounds at any time. For purposes of this policy, "school grounds" means any building, structure, and surrounding outdoor grounds contained within the District's preschool, nursery school, elementary or secondary school's legally defined property boundaries as registered in the County Clerk's Office; as well as all District vehicles, including vehicles used to transport children or school personnel.
For purposes of this policy, tobacco is defined to include any lighted or unlighted cigarette, cigar, cigarillo, pipe, bidi, clove cigarette, and any other smoking product, and spit, spitless or dissolvable tobacco (sticks, orbs, snus, strips, smokeless, dip, chew and/or snuff) in any form.
The use of e-cigarettes, cigarettes and any other products containing nicotine, except for current FDA approved smoking cessation products (under physicians supervision for minors) are also prohibited.
Smoking is prohibited at all playgrounds. Smoking within 100 feet of the entrances and exits of elementary schools is also prohibited.
Posting/Notification of Policy
In compliance with the New York State Clean Indoor Air Act, the District will prominently post its Smoking/Tobacco Use policy and signs prohibiting all forms of tobacco products in District buildings and other appropriate locations; and will supply a copy upon request to any current or prospective employee. The District will also designate a school official to tell individuals who smoke in a non-smoking area that they are in violation of the New York State Public Health Law, Education Law, the federal Pro-Children Act of 1994 and District policy.
The District shall also ensure that this policy is communicated to staff, students, parents/guardians, volunteers, and visitors as deemed appropriate in order to orient all persons to the District's "No Tobacco Use" Policy and environment.
Off School Grounds
Tobacco use is prohibited by students, staff, chaperones and other youth and adult participants at any school sponsored event or activity off campus.
Prohibition of Tobacco Promotional Items/Tobacco Advertising
Tobacco promotional items (e.g., brand names, logos and other identifiers) are prohibited:
- On school grounds;
- In school vehicles;
- At school-sponsored events, including those that take place off school premises and in another state;
- In school publications;
- On clothing, shoes, accessories, gear, and school supplies in accordance with the District Code of Conduct and applicable collective bargaining agreements.
In addition, tobacco advertising and marketing is also prohibited in all school-sponsored publications and at all school sponsored events. The District will request ad-free publications in school libraries.
Distribution, sharing or sale of tobacco including any smoking device is prohibited on school property, grounds and at any school-sponsored event.
Safe and Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act, 20 United States Code (USC) Section 7101 et seq.
Pro-Children Act of 2001, as amended by the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001, 20 United States Code (USC)
Education Law Sections 409, 2801(1) and 3020-a
Public Health Law Article 13-E
- #3280 -- Use of School Facilities, Materials and Equipment
- #3410 -- Code of Conduct on School Property
- #7310 -- School Conduct and Discipline
- #7320 -- Alcohol, Tobacco, Drugs, and Other Substances (Students)
- #8211 -- Prevention Instruction
- District Code of Conduct on School Property
- » 3280 - USE OF SCHOOL FACILITIES, MATERIALS AND EQUIPMENT
- » 3410 - CODE OF CONDUCT ON SCHOOL PROPERTY
- » 7310 - SCHOOL CONDUCT AND DISCIPLINE
- » 7320 - ALCOHOL, TOBACCO, DRUGS AND OTHER SUBSTANCES (STUDENTS)
- » 8211 - PREVENTION INSTRUCTION