6000 - Personnel
6320 SUPPLEMENTARY SCHOOL PERSONNEL
In accordance with the Regulations of the Commissioner, the Board of Education may employ teacher aides to assist in the daily operation of the school through non-teaching duties.
The duties and responsibilities to be assumed by teacher aides shall be outlined by the Superintendent in accordance with Civil Service guidelines. Teacher aides shall be responsible to the Building Principal/designee.
A teacher aide may be assigned to assist teachers in such non-teaching duties as:
- Managing records, materials and equipment;
- Attending to the physical needs of children; and
- Supervising students and performing such other services as support teaching duties when such services are determined and supervised by a teacher.
In accordance with the Regulations of the Commissioner, the Board of Education may employ teaching assistants to provide, under the general supervision of a licensed or certified teacher, direct instructional service to students.
Teaching assistants assist teachers by performing duties such as:
- Working with individual students or groups of students on special instructional projects;
- Providing the teacher with information about students that will assist the teacher in the development of appropriate learning aspects;
- Assisting students in the use of available instructional resources and assisting in the development of instructional materials;
- Utilizing their own special skills and abilities by assisting in instructional programs in such areas as foreign language, arts, crafts, music, and similar subjects; and
- Assisting in related instructional work as required.
- Working with small groups of students so that the teacher can work with a large group or individual students;
- Helping a teacher to construct a lesson plan;
- Presenting segments of lesson plans, as directed by the teacher;
- Communicating with parents of students at a school site or as otherwise directed by a teacher; and
- Helping a teacher to train other teaching assistants.
8 New York Code of Rules and Regulations (NYCRR) Section 80-5.6
« BACK | BACK TO POLICY SERIES