Students with Disabilities
7000 - Students
7614 PRESCHOOL SPECIAL EDUCATION PROGRAM
The Board recognizes the need for educational programs for three (3) and four (4) year old children with disabilities and directs that administrative practices and procedures be developed to:
- Ensure the timely evaluation and placement for each preschool child with a disability residing in the District.
- Establish a Committee on Preschool Special Education (CPSE) which shall be comprised in accordance with applicable federal and state law and regulation.
- Ensure that parents have received and understand the request for consent for evaluation and re- valuation of a preschool aged child.
The District is required to collect entry assessment data in the three (3) outcome areas on all preschool children who receive an initial evaluation. As currently required by Commissioner's Regulation Section 200.5, a parent must be fully informed about the proposed initial evaluation and must provide consent for an initial evaluation. This would include a description of the proposed evaluation.
The CPSE will receive entry-level assessment results in the three (3) outcome areas from approved preschool evaluators conducting initial evaluations on all preschool children suspected of having disabilities. The CPSE will then meet to determine the child's eligibility for preschool education programs and/or services and complete the Child Outcomes Summary Form to determine the child's entry level of functioning in the three (3) outcome areas for all preschool children evaluated and found to be eligible. The form is be kept in the student's record until the exit assessment information is due as a way to summarize complex assessment information in a format so that the data can be aggregated and reported to the State Education Department (SED).
If the committee recommends placing a child in an approved program that also conducted an evaluation of such child, it shall indicate in writing that such placement is an appropriate one for the child. In addition, the committee shall provide notice to the commissioner of such recommendation.
Individuals with Disabilities Act (IDEA), 20 United States Code (USC) Section 1400 et seq.
Education Law Section 4410
8 New York Code of Rules and Regulations (NYCRR) Sections 200.2(b)(5) and 200.5
Refer also to Policy
- #7632 --
- Appointment and Training of Committee on Preschool Special Education (CPSE) Members
- » 7632 - APPOINTMENT AND TRAINING OF COMMITTEE ON PRESCHOOL SPECIAL EDUCATION (CPSE) MEMBERS