Students with Disabilities
7000 - Students
7643 - TRANSFER STUDENTS WITH DISABILITIES
To facilitate the transition of students with disabilities transferring into or out of the District the District shall:
- As the district of origin take reasonable steps to promptly respond to all requests from the new school district.
- As the new school district take reasonable steps to promptly obtain the student's records from the previous school, including the Individualized Education Program (IEP), supporting documents and any other records relating to the provision of special education services.
- Provide to a student with a disability (as defined in Section 200.1(zz) of Commissioner's Regulations) who transfers school districts within the same school year a free appropriate education including services comparable to those described in the student's previous IEP.
- For transfers within New York State, the previously held IEP will be followed in consultation with the parents until the District adopts the previously held IEP or develops, adopts and implements a new IEP consistent with federal and State law and regulation.
- For transfers from outside New York State, in consultation with the parents the previously held IEP will be followed until the District conducts an evaluation and, if appropriate, develops a new IEP consistent with federal and State law and regulation.
Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement Act of 2004 [Public Law 108-446 Section 614(a)]
Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), 20 United States Code (USC) Section 1400 et seq.
New York Code of Rules and Regulations (NYCRR) Sections 200.1(zz) and 200.4(e)(8)
Policy Cross References:
- » 7240 - STUDENT RECORDS: ACCESS AND CHALLENGE