Williamsville East High School Bulletin
April 24, 2018
A - Day
"A great flame follows a little spark" - Dante
Commons Cafe will be running this week from 1st through 4th periods. Get delicious waffles for breakfast this week with great-tasting coffee!
BAND AGAINST BULLYING
BAND AGAINST BULLYING - Wednesday, April 25, 7:00 at UB Center for the Arts tickets $5 at the door only. Please encourage your students to find us on Social Media (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter) in preparation for the event! We are also going to have a raffle at BAND this year with the following items. Raffle tickets will be $5.
- Buffalo Sabres center Jack Eichel autographed jersey
- Buffalo Bills running back LeSean McCoy autographed football
- Buffalo Bills wide receiver Charles Clay autographed jersey
- Buffalo Bills center Eric Wood autographed football cleat
Click HERE for more information.
PROJECT GREEN EARTH WEEK
Project Green is hosting a "Green Week" at school from Monday, April 30 - Friday, May 4. As part of this event, they will be hosting a clothing exchange in Room 324 after school on Wednesday, May 2. If you are interested in exchanging your new or gently used clothes for others, please save your donations until after school on Wednesday and attend the event. If you are not interested in attending, please place your goods in the bins labeled "Green Week Donations" designated in Room 324, outside the Main Office, and in Student Street. All extra clothing from the exchange will be donated to St. Luke's Mission.
- Monday, April 30 - Wear Green - Wear your green clothing to show your support for going green and being eco-conscious!
- Tuesday, May 1 - Carpool for a Snack Day - Receive a treat when you take the bus, walk to school, ride your bike, or carpool to school (must be 2 or more people in the car)!
- Wednesday, May 2 - Clothing Exchange - Come to Room 324 after school to turn in your new & gently used clothing for some other clothes. There will be food, friends, and information about why shopping second hand and donating old clothes is important and eco-friendly.
- Thursday, May 3 - Lights Out/No Paper Day - Encourage your teachers to turn the lights out in the classrooms when they're not necessary, watch videos, or see presentations instead of using paper. Or, ask to have a fun, relaxing day to just share and bond!
- Friday, May 4 - Sign Pledge to Recycle in the Library & After School Clean Up (for Gov and NHS hours) - Come to Room 324 immediately after school to participate in a clean-up of the school grounds. You can come if you need community service hours, or just have fun!
FOOD COLLECTION FOR WNY FOOD BANK
Please join the WEHS Boys Lacrosse Teams as they help fight hunger by collecting non-perishable food items for the WNY Food Bank, now through Monday, May 7. Donations can be dropped off at school in the barrels placed near the Main Office and Student Street. Please help us as we help those in need.
SUMMER SCHOOL ATTENDANCE INFORMATION
Click HERE for important information regarding summer school attendance.
HOLOCAUST GUEST SPEAKER
Watch the presentation from January 30, 2018 at Williamsville East HS by Jeannie Smith. Ms. Smith is daughter of Righteous Among the Nations, Irena Gut Opdyke, who saved Jews during WWII in German-occupied Poland. Click HERE to view the presentation.
COURSE CATALOG 2018-2019
Click HERE for the course catalog.
Mindful Mondays are every Monday in Room 119. Take a break- learn to relax and unwind, and release unnecessary tensions. Guided mindful exercises will be at 7:30am, 11:50am and 2:50pm in Room 119. Please join us!
Lockers have been assigned!! Your locker number and combination can be viewed on your WITS profile page. You will need to secure your locker on Tuesday...this is your responsibility and we encourage you to use it! Avoid carrying your backpack and USE your locker.
|2nd Floor Lockers:||Locker #|
|ORANGE||2001 - 2127|
|BLUE||2128 - 2223|
|GREEN||2224 - 2354|
|RED||2355 - 2463|
|3rd Floor Lockers:||Locker #|
|ORANGE||3001 - 3144|
|BLUE||3145 - 3285|
|GREEN||3286 - 3503|
|RED||3504 - 3637|
The next PTSA meeting is Monday, May 14, 7:00 pm in the Commons. All are welcome.
SHARED DECISION MAKING
The Shared Decision Making Mission Statement: To support the academic environment and set achievable/measurable character goals for the 2017-2018 school year and beyond. Click HERE to read more about the goals and who the members of the team are.
To read the 2017-2018 East High School Improvement Plan Through SDM, click HERE.
Click HERE to view the 2017-2018 Administrative Talks.
STUDENT PARENT HANDBOOK
Click HERE for the 2017/2018 Williamsville East Student Parent Handbook
Please review the School Dress Code on page 14 of the Student Parent Handbook.
CODE OF CONDUCT
Click HERE for the Code of Conduct adopted by the Board of Education.
TOPS IN EDUCATION
TOPS Friendly Markets is committed to helping the community. Schools are a big part of those communities. The TOPS in Education program makes it easier to get additional money for school improvements and programs.
Here's how it works:
1. Register your TOPS Bonus Plus.
2. Select your school(s) of choice (grades K-12) from the list of schools that have registered (you may select up to three schools.)
3. Purchase participating TOPS brand, Full Circle, TopCare, Tippy Toes, Valu Time and Best Yet products with your TOPS Bonus Plus throughout the 2016-2017 TOPS in Education program year.
4. TOPS contributes up to 5% of your purchase to the school(s) you have chosen. The more you shop, the higher percentage TOPS donates.
5. Click HERE to enroll or to re-enroll.
Dignity for All Students Act took effect as law July 1, 2012. The Act prohibits harassment & discrimination of students by peers & by school personnel. It covers all public & secondary aged students & applies to behaviors on school property, in school buildings, on a school bus, as well as school-sponsored events or activities. Districts will be responsible for identifying at least 1 employee at every school to serve as the DASA coordinator. This individual must be trained thoroughly to "handle human relations" in the protected areas. All schools in the District have named 2 coordinators. Please contact either one of them should you have any concerns or wish to report an incident at East.
Dignity Act Coordinators (DAC) in our building are:
Ms. Gentile and Mrs. DeSantis.
- Click HERE for a complete list of 2017-2018 Student Clubs.
- Oh hi East! Do you adore bad movies? From legendary writer, director, producer, and actor Tommy Wiseau comes the 2003 cult masterpiece The Room. The Film Appreciation Society will be holding a special interactive screening in honor of this drama turned unintentional comedy's 15th anniversary on Tuesday, April 24 at 3:00 pm in Room 213. Popcorn will be served. And if you decide to attend, please pick up a permission slip in the English Office or else you'll tear us apart East.
- There will be an EarthWise meeting Thursday, April 26 in Room 222. We will be discussing the tree planting project. Students can receive government hours. Please see Mrs. Spitznogle in Room 222 for information about tree planting on Saturday, April 28.
- There will be Debate Club every Tuesday after school in Room 313. All are welcome.
- Are you an artistic person? Do you care about the environment? Then join Project Green. Every Wednesday, we meet in Room 324 to make crafts out of recycled materials and discuss ways to help the planet. Come and take part in the fun.
Interested in Journalism? The East Side Newspaper is the official newspaper of Williamsville East. Meetings are open to all students every Wednesday after school in computer lab 204, or see Mr. Huber or Mrs. Lanzone in the English department for more information. We publish bi-weekly on paper or you can check us out online by clicking on the logo ...
Attention all creative writers and artists! The East Literary Digest publishes student poetry, short stories, and art work. To submit your work, click on the logo below to join our Google Classroom. After clicking the + and "join class," enter the code 8m3p0c. Select the most recent issue number and then edit the shared document with your poem, a title for your poem, and your name. You may use a pseudonym or author the poem as Anonymous.
- Attention Seniors! Wear Senior Class apparel Wednesday, April 25, for a class picture during 3rd period.
- Any senior who would like the opportunity to speak at graduation needs to submit a written speech to Mrs. Warner in the Main Office no later than Wednesday, May 23. Speeches submitted will be reviewed by a committee and 2 or 3 speeches will be selected for students to read at graduation. Speeches should be 3-5 minutes in length. If you have any questions, please see Mrs. Warner or Mr. Scanzuso.
- Attention Junior! The Junior Dinner Dance will be held on Friday, May 18 at Banchetti by Rizzo. Tickets will be on sale for a reduced price, $37, from Monday, April 23 - Friday, April 27. After that, you can purchase them at their regular price of $42 until Friday, May 11. See Mrs. McCarthy in the Main Office to get your tickets. Check your WITS mail for detailed information. Click HERE for a Guest Authorization Form if bringing a guest from another school. Forms are also available on the counter in front of the Main Office.
- JDD TICKETS & LIBRARY BOOK RETURNS: In order to purchase Junior Dinner Dance tickets you must returns ALL overdue library books! You will NOT be able to buy a ticket if your name is on the Library Books Due list. Please return any overdue books before you go to the Main Office! Thank you!
- Attention all Freshman: There will be a class meeting after school on Tuesday, April 24 in room 205. All are welcome!
The Freshmen Class is conducting a fundraiser selling gift cards for Paula's Donuts. Each card is good for a dozen donuts of your choice. The cards are $15. The cards may be redeemed at any of the Paula's Donuts locations and the cards have no expiration date. Cards may be purchased from Mr. Hurley or Mrs. Wagar.
BAGEL WEDNESDAY IS BACK!! The class of 2021 will be selling bagels in the commons, from 7:10-7:45am every Wednesday for only $1.00.
- There is a Suggestion Box, next to the Student Council bulletin board by the green stairwell. Feel free to drop Student Council a note with any appropriate feedback/suggestions that you want the council to know about.
SOURCES OF STRENGTH - WE ARE STRONGER CAMPAIGN
- "Carry out a random act of kindness, with no expectation of reward, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you" - Princess Diana
- Please complete the Sources of Strength survey by clicking HERE.
- Reserve your copy by going to www.yearbookordercenter.com. Use code 14558.
- Important Dates for Seniors
- Senior Portrait Information Letter
GUIDANCE OFFICE NEWS:
- There will be a Financial Aid Night for students enrolled in 11th grade and below on Tuesday, April 24, 6:30 - 8:00 pm, Williamsville South Auditorium. Click HERE for more information.
- Click HERE for the 2018-2019 Course Catalog.
- Check Community Service Opportunities on the Guidance Tab for more information.
- Check the Guidance News Page on your Guidance Tab for more information from the Counseling Office.
- SPORT SCHEDULE: Click here for updated information (updates every 5 minutes!
- The Fitness Room will be open every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 3:00-5:00 for all students.