NEW YORK STATE REGENTS DIPLOMA (22 units)
|Social Studies||4 units|
|Art and/or music||1 unit|
|Physical Education||2 units|
|18 ½ units|
A student must participate in physical education each year he/she is in school and must earn the 1/2 credit awarded per year for successful completion of the course.
Languages Other Than English, LOTE
A student must complete two units of study of Checkpoint A LOTE and earn one high school credit by the end of 9th grade. Beginning in the 2010-2011 school year, students enrolled in grades eight or earlier may be granted one unit of credit upon entrance to high school by successfully completing two units of study in a language other than English and passing a locally developed assessment, both of which are aligned to the Checkpoint A learning standards for languages other than English.
To earn one unit of credit in the Williamsville Central School District, an eighth grade student entering ninth grade must have passed the seventh grade course, passed the eighth grade course and passed the eighth grade exam. A 9th grade student enrolled in a 1R LOTE course must pass either the locally developed Checkpoint A assessment or the 1R course to earn one credit.
Exams Required for a New York State Regents Diploma
The State of New York has established a requirement that students must successfully pass selected Regents Comprehensive Examinations in order to earn a diploma at any high school in New York State. All students must pass the following Regents examinations:
- English Language Arts
- Integrated Algebra 1R
- Global History & Geography
- U.S. History
- (1) Science (Biology, Chemistry, Earth Science or Physics)
- A student must meet the general requirements for a Regents diploma.
- A student must pass the Checkpoint B Assessment in French, Spanish, German or Latin (This does not apply to students gaining a 5-unit sequence in Art, Music, Business, Technology or Vocational Education).
- A student must pass three Regents examinations in mathematics (effective June 2008): Integrated Algebra, Geometry and Algebra II and Trigonometry.
- A student must pass two Regents examinations in science (one of them must be the Living Environment Regents Examination).
Per New York State Regents Regulations, a student must attempt the New York State Regents Comprehensive Exams required for a Regents Diploma. However, a student with a disability who entered high school prior to September of 2011 may obtain a local diploma by passing the corresponding Regents Competency Test(s). This is known as the RCT safety net. The option to take the RCTs will not be available for any student entering grade 9 beginning in September of 2011 and thereafter.
While the RCT safety net is not an option for students who entered grade 9 during the 2011-12 school year and after, the local diploma option remains available to all students with disabilities provided they earn a score of 55-64 on one or more required Regents examinations.