Shared Decision Making
WILLIAMSVILLE NORTH HIGH SCHOOL
SHARED DECISION MAKING - SCHOOL IMPROVEMENT PLAN
Gary Collichio – Principal
Michael Mistretta – Teacher
Amy Glover - Teacher
Shannon Zawada – Teacher
Taunya Abaya – Parent
Francie Marzec – Parent
Helaine Sanders - Parent
Tom Lucia – Community Member
Arunabh Chaudhuri - Student
Taylor Stover - Student
Amy Nicolia – Support Staff
We are a representative group of the Williamsville Community who agree to convene in order to plan, problem-solve and set direction for the improvement of student achievement and character development at Williamsville North High School. We are committed to a safe, respectful, and nurturing learning climate that fosters students to achieve their fullest potential academically, emotionally, physically and creatively. Our purpose is to positively impact education and allow for personal growth of all students at Williamsville North so that they can become the leaders of tomorrow and shape the future.
As team members, we will act as equal partners with the responsibility and accountability for planning and making decisions. We will arrive at decisions by the consensus model. We will publicly support all decisions made by consensus. We will respect each member of the team, as well as the nature of the issue discussed. We will endeavor to base our decisions upon research and data whenever possible.
Goals / Plans:
We continue to confront issues that are relevant and that could make a positive impact on the school's learning environment. Currently, we are in the process of taking on a new initiative with the theme of service.
• Utilizing our ties to the community, we are working to provide students with opportunities to volunteer their time and give back to the school and greater Williamsville community.
• Commission, Produce, and Present a video project that displays our SDM purpose and current service initiative. This is to make the school and greater Williamsville community aware of what our SDM does to serve North as well as how we are currently setting out on our latest service/volunteering project.
• We are planning to revamp our SDM webpage in conjunction with this to assist with promoting awareness of these volunteering opportunities through information and externally linking them to local organizations. Post-overhaul, the webpage will be continually updated pertaining to latest projects and goals as well as showcase examples of our work in action.
• To identify and discuss defining characteristics of the Shared Decision Making team in accordance with the Plan for Participation in an effort to develop our unique vision and potential for success.
• To improve and expand our communication and information sharing with the North community at large; we will disseminate information in a coordinated way through faculty meetings and visitations with the PTSA and Board of Education.
• We will write columns periodically for various newsletters including the PTSA HighLights and the North Newsletter.
• We will continue to update our Williamsville North WEB link, adding key information to the SDM front page.
• We will update whenever appropriate: meeting minutes, bulletin boards, North Notes and email (internal communication with faculty and staff), faculty and student handbooks, and WITS.
• We will ask SDM committee members to seek opportunities to communicate directly with their constituencies, including annual reports at PTSA meetings. We will also deliver periodic updates through the morning announcements and WITS. In addition, we will present publicly at Student Council / Link Crew meetings, faculty and staff meetings, and school-wide assemblies where appropriate.
• We will encourage participation in the SDM committee, asking student leadership officers to encourage interested members to attend a Shared Decision Making Committee meeting.
• We will also continue our efforts to expand communication and information sharing with Casey and Heim Middle Schools through the use of various contacts and liaisons.
Related Links & Files
School Improvement Plan 2017-2018