In accordance with the English Language Arts Common Core Learning Standards, our program is based on the following beliefs:
- English language arts learners must be exposed to regular and varied opportunities to read.
- Students should read, write, listen, and speak on a daily basis.
- Teachers in all content areas share responsibility for the development of reading, writing, listening, and speaking competencies.
- Language arts development is recursive across the continuum, from kindergarten through grade 12.
- All students are able to achieve competency in the presence of skilled instruction, adequate time for learning, varied and/or specialized resources, and additional support as needed.
- Access to technology enhances the development of critical literacy competencies.
- Skills are developed, revisited, and reinforced with increasing complexity in accordance with grade-level expectations.
- Students should be active learners, responsible for, and knowledgeable about their own learning.