Letter Regarding Middle School Grading
March 30, 2020
Dear Williamsville Families,
We continue to think about students and their families during this time. Given the unprecedented circumstances we are facing, interim guidance is being provided on student grading for the middle schools for the 3rd and 4th marking periods. We will continue to monitor any state or federal guidance in this area, and these guidelines are subject to change in these uncertain times. To acknowledge and evaluate the work completed by students, and to be able to reflect grades on student transcripts, this guidance was developed jointly with the district and will apply to all four middle schools.
For the 3rd quarter the following will apply:
- For 9th grade courses only (Algebra, Earth Science, English 9R, French 1R and Spanish 1R), the third marking period will close with class work completed through March 13, 2020. No assignments given during the school closure period will be included in the 3rd marking period grades. All other courses will be left ungraded for the 3rd marking period.
- For 9th grade courses only, all assignments that a teacher expects to use as a grade for the 3rd marking period will be entered into WITS and visible to students and parents by the end of the day on Monday, March 30th If students have assignments that were not completed prior to March 13, 2020, students will be given until April 9, 2020 to submit the missing work for full credit.
- Teachers of 9th grade courses will contact students with missing assignments and inform them of the missing assignments. Teachers will communicate how students can make up the assignment or submit it prior to April 9th, 2020.
- For 9th grade courses only, if the assignment is something that cannot be made up during the school closure time (i.e secure test, quiz, materials unavailable, etc.), teachers will exempt the student from the assignment.
For the 4th quarter the following will apply:
- For all courses offered at the middle school level, the 4th marking period will begin with any assignments given Monday, March 30th or after. All classes will have grades entered for the 4th marking period. In addition, 4th marking period family and consumer sciences, art, and technology rotations will proceed on March 30th.
- At this time, our plan is for students whose average is below 65% at the end of the 4th marking period to be given a
*65% as their final grade for the 4th marking period. In the event that school resumes prior to the end of the year, the decision to provide a *65% will be re-evaluated at that time.
- If school resumes prior to the end of the year, students with missing assignments during the 4th quarter will be allowed to make them up for full credit prior to the close of the quarter.
Thank you for your continued partnership. Please contact your principal if you have any questions. Sincerely,
Assistant Superintendent for Instruction
Principal, Casey Middle School
Principal, Heim Middle School
Principal, Mill Middle School
Principal, Transit Middle School